Thursday, January 1, 2015

Try Something New, Make a Mistake

In the words of Neil Gaiman: “I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Gaiman

Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something.

So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.

Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it.
Make your mistakes, next year and forever.”
While trying to find something about the new year to share on Facebook, I found this quote which pretty much sums up what I, as an almost 70 year old, struggle with.  It is so easy to sit back and let life pass me by.  For example, if I don't go outside for walks, I have lessened my chance for injury.  Anxiety about the future comes too easy when you are older.

Last year's resolution was to "Let it Go" which was a struggle, but I managed to not worry so far into the future, but to tackle one anxiety-filling event at a time. (Click here for other resolutions)  One of my friends at Wellbridge (our health club) said yesterday, "Wow, you sure do stay busy." My response, "Go while the gettin' is good." 

Neil Gaiman hit the source of my anxieties---fear of making a mistake.  But, as I look back on the past year, I see that I have challenged this fear again and again.  


  • We cruised out of New Orleans last year, had difficulty getting Dave to the car when an angel in a golf cart came by.
  • We came back from the cruise just after an ice storm, but we got to see the back country of Louisiana.
  • I went out to lunch several times with sorority sisters I hadn't seen in years.
  • I got a Fitbit to help me with my health journey (it measures my activity level)
  • We flew to Orlando from Dallas for a disney cruise out of  Port Canaveral (never had cruised from there)
  • I crashed a Class Reunion which was not mine.
  • I spent Christmas in Dallas---it has been awhile since I celebrated Christmas out of Missouri.
  • I started walking every sunny day---with a walking stick to protect my ankles and keep me from falling.
For a list of ideas, someone came up with (one each week), click here.
Ed Catmull, one of Pixar's founders, says failure is necessary to creativity.  Click here for more about that.

Next year, I intend to continue to try new things, plans anxiety-filled events and NOT be afraid of making a mistake.  Because we grow when we learn from our mistakes.  We gain confidence when face our anxieties.  Neil finished his blog for 2014 with

 "It's a New Year and with it comes a fresh opportunity to shape our world. 

So this is my wish, a wish for me as much as it is a wish for you: in the world to come, let us be brave – let us walk into the dark without fear, and step into the unknown with smiles on our faces, even if we're faking them. 

And whatever happens to us, whatever we make, whatever we learn, let us take joy in it. We can find joy in the world if it's joy we're looking for, we can take joy in the act of creation. 

So that is my wish for you, and for me. Bravery and joy."

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.