Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Key West

 Our 2nd stop was supposed to be CoCo Cay, the private island, but it was too windy to dock---Must have been very disappointing for the bride and groom who were to be married there.  They'd booked 27 rooms including one for the priest.  But, the water pipe break left the groom's family behind. After an overnight in Mississippi, they were flown to the Bahamas to join the rest of the party (their rooms had been fixed) only to have the "destination wedding" now ruined by high winds.  Not sure what the outcome was, but we went to Key West next.

 We had to be transported to Key West via the Conch Train due to docking on a Naval Station. (we were definitely not on the schedule that we originally had).  We had gone through customs on boards, so when we departed, I just took our ship pass.  There was no problem until we tried to get back on the Navy base---we didn't have official ID's.  They checked the ship manifest and we were allowed to travel across the base again.




This was my first trip to Key West.  I think we saw the Southern most portion as we were leaving, but I'm not sure.  Will need to make a point of it in December.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.