Monday, May 16, 2016

Hawaii Day 5 Hilo Hawai'i Island

November 4, 2007

This was one of my favorite days---Hawai'i Volcano National Park with the Kilauea Caldera---it was like being in another world.  We drove around Halema'uma'u crater---some had to stay on the bus because the sulfur fumes were strong and not healthy for those with coronary or respiratory issues.



 Yes, we went on this trip before we had a digital camera, so these are photos of snapshots.  Next we went to the Thurston Lava Tube (a natural phenomenon created during volcanic eruptions) in a rain forest.


 After lunch, the rain resulted in a change of schedule---a macadamian Nut Plantation and Akatsuka's Orchid Nursery where you could have some shipped home, I think.
 There won't be a lot of photos of us on the ship.  First, it was the least favorite part of the trip, but it got us to all of the islands.  For example, my journal says dinner was 3 hours---that's not an elegant dining 3 hours, that's poorly trained wait-staff 3 hours.  Fortunately, we had great company with the Elderhostel group.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.