Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Hawaii Day 8 Kona, Hawai'i Island

November 7, 2007

We took a tender to Kona.  From the moment I stepped off the ship, I loved it:  we were in "old Hawaii" Pu'uhonua o Honannau National Historical Park.  I enjoyed watching the surf hit the rocks.  It is a place of refuge with Hawaiian huts and sea turtles.  But, this is a historical place too---where King Kamahameha died and where Captain Cook was killed.  His monument is on a strip of land owned by Great Britain.





First,  we went to Norm's Cloud Forest---a friend of Art's who started his own re-forestation project.  Every day around noon, the clouds roll in and water the plants.  We hiked a bit and then went back to Kona were we visited a coffee roasting place, had coffee and saw the coffee plants growing.

coffee plants




That night we had dinner at Liberty where we had Prime Rib or Lobster from Kona.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.