Saturday, May 14, 2016

Hawaii Day One and Two Oahu

October 31, 2007, we arrived at the beautiful Honolulu airport, grabbed our bags to head to the hotel and ran into an old church friend Cheryl Young who had moved to Hawaii---beyond shocked!  We caught a $9 shuttle to Hawaii Prince Hotel with 15 minutes to spare before the buffet dinner and introductions.  We were ready to begin our Elderhostel (now Roads Scholar) adventure.

View from Hotel

View from hotel room
November 1, 2007
After a breakfast at the hotel, we had a class on the history of Hawaii.  Then we went to the Bishop Museum, saw some traditional dancing and then went to Punch Bowl.
 Punch Bowl is an extinct crater which has the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.  Inside a mausoleum there was a map of where my dad was during World War II.  As with all National Cemeteries, there was beauty and peace all around.

There was also a walk up the crater for a beautiful panorama of Waikiki.


We went back to the hotel for dinner where we were entertained by the Kahala Elementary School Hula Troupe. We enjoyed our first 1.5 days in Hawaii.  The Bishop Museum was disappointing but we enjoyed the lecture, Punch Bowl and the company.






No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.