Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Howdy Doody


One of the characteristics of the Baby Boom generation is television---again, I straddled two worlds. While my husband (a few years older) remembers listening to radio and not having television until he was 8 (1951), we had a television in the late 1940's before I was in school. Dad had won some sort of lottery and used the money to buy a television which had a round screen with about an 8 inch diameter. Having a television was so unusual that we had company almost every night---friends, family, acquaintances, neighbors. Mom finally put her foot down to the constant stream of visitors when it started stressing me out.

I loved Howdy Doody and would invite the children in the neighborhood to sit in little chairs in front of the TV. It was the Sesame Street of the day---puppets and actors.

Nothing interfered with Howdy Doody. Mother said I would get dressed up, would line up the chairs for my friends. The excitement would build as we sat in our chairs. Then we'd hear those magic words, "Do you know what time it is?" We'd yell, "It's Howdy Doody Time!" We were mesmerized for a half hour watching the antics of Howdy Doody, Clarabelle the clown, Buffalo Bob, Princess Summerfall Winterspring, and Chief Thunderthud.

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/H/htmlH/howdydoodys/howdydoodys.htm

2 comments:

hear.t. and hue said...

ohhhhhhhhhh GOTCHA. that's how the obsession & collecting of freaky dolls started. thanks for the explanation. it ALL MAKES SENSE NOW! :) ha

you should see if you can get some DVD or VHS's of howdy doody. i'd love to show them to B & D and see what they think!

Jaclyn Morgan said...

Actually, I think I have one on VHS that Grandma gave me a few years ago.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.