Sunday, May 8, 2011

Quilts in a Trunk

 You know how one thing leads to another.  At Easter, a leg fell off my coffee table in the basement. . .not worth repairing, so Leah and I decided to put one of my trunks to work.   When we opened it, we discovered my quilt collection dating back to our auction/estate sale days.
The first one I found was a pillow case Dave and I bought at an estate auction.  Lot after lot of brand new, never used linens were being auctioned off, but somehow we bought  a bag of rags.  But, this "rag" told a story of someone who never opened brand new linens but made a pillow case of scraps of fabric.  I have kept it to remind myself not to "save" gifts and there IS such a thing as too thrifty!  I tend to be a tight-wad, so this serves as a reminder.
 
This is a huge queen sized quilt that my mother had made for me as a wedding present.  I think I stored it away when the kids started jumping on the beds. . .
This one is a twin-sized quilt which I think was on one of our beds at one time.  It has embroidered blocks depicting scenes from American history.  An antique dealer told me she thought the blocks were free when a person bought something maybe in the 1930's.  Leah said it would be a fun quilt for Independence Day or Thanksgiving.
As often happens with quilts, stains appear over time.  So, Leah and her kids helped me wash these quilts in the bath tub.  We took them outside to dry in the sun which miraculously bleached the stains away.  The fabrics in this bow-tie quilt place it between 1930-1950.
This Sunbonnet Sue is a little tattered on one edge, but the fabrics again point to 1930's-1950's vintage.  As I pointed out to Leah these last two quilts had been stuffed with cotton---with seeds!  They are only visible when the quilts are wet.
We also found the fabrics I'd saved from my children's clothes which I had intended to turn into quilts for them.  I already shared about one of my quilt projects.  But, I confess, that I had another one. . .my cathedral window quilt.
As you can tell by the pins and needle still attached, this isn't even big enough or far enough along to make into a pillow.  So, my dear daughters, if you'd like to finish it, I have a suitcase of scrap fabrics ready to go.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I love Sunbonnet girls! My grandmother used to embroider them on teatowels. She made a few quilts but mostly sets of teatowels with one for each day of the week. I liked the Sunbonnet girls because they had a different chore for each day of the week (Monday wash day, Tuesday ironing, etc). Thanks for sharing!

Sister Jane said...

I remember your blue embroidery quilt. I was a little jealous because mom gave me one in burnt orange and harvest gold. Very popular colors for the time, but.......blue is timeless.

Your cathederal window quilting is about a far as I got recently on a little doll quilt. Hmmm maybe quilting is something is to admire, that someone actually finished one.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.