Monday, March 16, 2009

Tight-wad or Scottish?


While there are some of "Scotch-Irish" ancestry who celebrate St. Patrick's Day, I don't (sorry, Kyle and Irish cousins). I used to wear orange on St. Patrick's Day and argue at length about St. Patrick being Welsh. So despite this being St. Patrick's Day, this blog is in honor of my Scottish roots (next year I'll honor my Welsh roots--Maewyn Succat, I won't neglect thee!)

An article on Yahoo! made me think. . . maybe I'm not just thrifty, maybe I'm a tightwad! Click here for the article. As my introduction suggests, I'm the product of Depression era parents. But, I also grew up in a household proud of it's "Scottish thriftiness." We know almost nothing about my grandmother's background and yet I can recall my mother saying, "Grandma is Scottish--she is a real penny pincher." Other than making clothes, I don't really recall my grandmother as being particularly tight with her money, but nevertheless, I grew up thinking that if Grandma was Scottish and thrifty, it was a good thing to be.

My husband and children are often ashamed of my thriftiness and it wasn't until I read that Yahoo article that I realized, that maybe I am a little extreme----not that I will change!
My husband objected to me handing him a spatula to scrape out the bottom of the jelly, so now I buy him jelly in a squeezable container. He also didn't like it when I stacked an old bottle of ketchup over a new one to get the last bit of ketchup out---again, I buy squeezable containers that store upside down. So, if I'm so weird, why did they invent these containers!?
I'm sure most people roll up their toothpaste to get the last bit out, but I get several more days out of my toothpaste containers by just cutting them open and dipping my toothbrush in. I also open up my moisturizer and make up to get the last bit out.

Also, I make my own blush---I like creamy blush but have all of these left-over bits of lipstick. So, I buy some creamy blush and mix it with the lipstick. I do remember my Scottish Grandmother Vennie Watson Wicker blotting her lipstick and then rubbing her cheeks---that's my kind of woman.
Train, Brett Twenter 2008
I haven't bought a package of plain white paper in years---we have always used paper from work. Even the girls' art and now my grandchildren's art is on re-cycled paper.
As part of my New Year's resolution to "use it up", I discovered several packages of sealed napkins from our wedding! At one time, I thought I'd save them for a big Silver Anniversary Party---well, that's come and gone, so we are using them up.
As you may or may not know, my souvenirs are always pens---practical and useful. But, I also collect them from motels and hotels.

Dave used to travel a lot, so he'd bring home soap and shampoo from his travels. I'm proud to say that I haven't bought shampoo or soap for my personal use in probably 20 years. My daughters and son-in-law (Kyle) often insisted on store-bought soap and shampoo. (I bought Kyle "Irish Spring" soap---what else---when he said he had a hard time with the minuscule "guest soap") I used to even have a contraption that put tiny bits of soap together to form a new bar---wonder what happened to that, Girls?
Pictured above is my new Watson tartan, a pin I purchased in Scotland and a Trinity necklace from Ireland. To all of the Scotch-Irish out there---let's find our own holiday and leave St. Patrick's Day to the Irish-Americans unless, of course, you can get your Irish friends to buy you a beer! Now, that would be a fine Scotch-Irish tradition!
"Mar sin leibh an dràsda."
"Slán go fóill"

2 comments:

Leah Morgan Korbel said...

Uh oh, I do the "ketchup bottle" thing with everything! When my father got coffee in the city, I'd have the greatest time emptying out all the sugar packets he'd bring home into our kitchen sugar canister...I think I'd better take that "tightwad vs. thrifty quiz. Fast.
Right after I take the top syrup bottle off the bottom one...

Anonymous said...

Jaci - We are so much a like ...and then I have my Car moments...already eyeing up a replacement for the Benz... my miserly fetish with soap & shampoo doesn't add much to my bottom line....so it must be the Scotch in me.

I keep adding water to the shampoo bottle until it won't lather any more....

I take bar sopa from the shower when it is to smal to shower with and use it for hand soap...when you find that contraption that takes small piece to make a small bar...I'd like one for a Xmas present.

I collect bar soap from hotels...make good hand soaps

I squeeze out toothpast e from larger tubes into smaller tube that I take on business trips...same goes for suntan lotion..

I try to use Thanksgiving nalins at Xmas...Halloween at Easter... But Deb will have none of it...in fact she buys Xmas napkins a year in advance...when we still have plenty left over from Xmas...that are just fine for Valetines day....sometimes she drives me crazy.

I am about to use the last of our Maple syrup favors from the Wedding...don't think syrup has a shelf life of 25 years.

From my brother, Jim

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.