Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Shell Game

My favorite thing at the Beach is to walk along the shore line looking for shells.
I can't resist scallop shells---they are my favorites! The problem is, what do I do with all of the shells I've collected over the years? So, I try to limit myself to 20 of the best shells. The shells here are all ready for the Shell Olympics!
They are judged by size, color, most unusual, most complete (have to have both "feet"), how they look when wet! I tried to get Dave to hold up cards for each one so I could declare a winner, but. . . So, I had to do the judging, the coaching AND the presentations! The winners are:


The rest of the shells were returned to the beach. So, I suggested to Dave that maybe I should bring some of my other shells back this summer. I thought it might be fun to "plant" them in the beach for the grandchildren to find. Dave thought it would be funny if I taped my photo in the shells (similar to the year I put my school photo in the plastic Easter eggs).
Some of the shells are quite large---see below. Most of these were found in North Carolina. I found the big conch looking for my prescription sunglasses that had been knocked off by a wave. The shiny brown shell was brought back from my dad during World War II, so it is from China, Japan, the Phillipines? (the golf ball is to show size)
My shells are from Texas, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Scotland. Wouldn't it be funny if some Shell Whiz found them in Alabama? But, the excited face of a child "finding" the shells would be even better (without my school photo).

2 comments:

Leah Warren said...

no I think leave pictures in them...how hilarious if a random found them. They'd wonder if it was a "message in a bottle" type thing...

Leah Morgan Korbel said...

Yes, do the pictures...that would be fantastic

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.