Sunday, March 29, 2009

Louise's Bible Study--Strength


Many of Mother's Bible verses were asking for strength. The passage above is Psalm 68:19. But, I also liked the book mark. (Double click on photos to make larger and then use the backarrow to come back)
The one above is my favorite verse Isaiah 40: 29-31. She also has Isaiah 41 passages marked.
Psalm 119:169 is a prayer for help as is Psalm 120. Psalm 121 is "The Lord Our Protector". I don't think the book mark was a political statement---Mom didn't think that way. I think "right" here means "correct" and "straight" means follow Jesus's teachings---more like "on the straight and narrow."
Psalm 91:11-16 and Psalm 92:10. Again the theme of these is asking for strength and protection.

I don't know, but I'm guessing these verses were marked after Mom was in her 80's and possibly after Dad died. I'm sharing these in a blog in case there are individuals out there who also need strength and protection. Mom would have loved helping and inspiring even after her death.

2 comments:

Jane said...

From Jane:
Mom always said she prayed for "strength" for her family members, not for their "happiness". This was at the very essence of mom's fabric. She felt if we had "strength" we could make it through anything. We used to have conversations about this often. It came up in almost every conversation as we would talk about family members. "strength and faith" always seemed interconnected and I am not a bit surprised these were marked in her bible.

I think she leaned on these more for herself after Dad's death, but strength and faith were always a strong part of mom's beliefs.

hear.t. and hue said...

it took me awhile to get what you meant by a "political statement". then it made me laugh. as IF! she didn't care... she always told me about the men she met while in the beauty shop business!

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.