Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Floaty Pens

I just love my floaty pens. The yellow one at the bottom with the coliseum/colloseum and the chariot race at Circus Maximus is my last one bought. Jim and Deb bought it when they were in Rome shopping on our second day. The red one above it is Nessie from Loch Ness, then one of the Diamond Princess Cruise ship. My favorite one is of Pope John-Paul from Tom and Donna. Next is one of bald eagles in Alaska and then another cruise ship---the Diamond Princess.
Left-right: White water rafting through the Grand Canyon, Amish Country in Illinois, St. Louis (duh--look at the Arch), New York City Central Park horse carriage ride (my first one bought 15 years ago) and two from the Texas Aquarium in Corpus Christi, Texas
Above are most of the ones I own---I know I have one from Paris with the Eifel Tower mysteriously levitating through Paris, but I can't find it. I love buying them because they're useful, easy to pack, cheap and yet GREAT souvenirs! Also, there's no buyer's remorse like my daughters got after they returned from Europe with gaudy German souvenirs they were too embarassed to give their friends.
The funny thing is that I bought my first floaty pen (NYC Central Park) as a joke! I looked around a kiosk to find the most outrageous souvenir to take back to the girls, and I decided the horse and carriage floating through Central Park was it. Little did I know I would become almost obsessed with finding one for each trip!

1 comment:

hear.t. and hue said...

that is great. what a GREAT idea for a post. how fun! i'll have to do kyle's pint glass collection for him on our blog. :)

it IS amazing to look at all these & realize that the floatie pen craze is still around & world-wide. and it is neat to see what the designers chose to "float". :) ha so cool! love it.

you should research the floatie pen industry & go visit a factory. :)

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.