Monday, August 18, 2008

ABC Sale Part One


We had our church rummage sale last week---the ABC Sale (Attic,
Basement, Closet) Sale. We had a few interesting items. In the pictures/mirrors section was this picture. My grandsons love trains, but I wasn't even tempted to buy this since it sparkled with glitter and sequins.


Then there was this "dawg" who was made out of some foam-type substance---he was at least 3 feet long, so, close to life-size. I actually saw the person who bought him---she looked normal enough. But, my big disappointment was when I asked the people in toys to show me the oddest thing they had and they showed me something I bought a number of years ago and ultimately donated. Chewbacca---how could anyone think you were odd or strange. Funny how you were gone the first day and the sombrero was still there when the sale was over.




But, for me the oddest thing was this---a ceramic platter with rubber/plastic fish and lemons glued on the platter. Then, the whole thing was covered with several layers of saran wrap.






There were also some very nice items---all donated by members of our congregation and community. I think we decided that the mirror was "married" to the bottom washstand---it wasn't original, but looked very nice---both pieces seemed to match and were walnut with a marble top.


We knew this piece was old because it had no belts to strap a tot in, but it was in excellent condition and sold fairly quickly.

We also had a few nice quilts that I wish I could have examined better---but, they sold early in the sale.

1 comment:

hear.t. and hue said...

"WOW" & "WHAT THE..." on the platter w/ fish & lemons. i would've bought it to use as a prank. i'd have ditched it at a friend's house when they weren't looking.

i saw my sheep! he looked like he missed me & confused as to why he'd been abandoned. i hope he found a good home.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.