Friday, August 29, 2008

Roman


We first met you almost 6 months ago on March 1 in a Kansas City Airport. You were a little apprehensive, confused and tired. We had no idea how resilient you were and how much we'd love you in such a short amount of time.

You had just arrived from Russia via Atlanta. Although your orphanage looked like something from a horror movie, your caretakers did a great job preparing you for the challenges that were ahead of you.

You were greeted by 5 cousins, 4 grandparents, 2 aunts and a host of friends. We expected you to cry, but you just look bewildered and tired. Your first night at home was a big indication of what we could expect. Undoubtedly jet-lagged, you woke up in the middle of the night, but didn't cry at these new surroundings. Instead, you climbed out of your crib and headed down the steps. When your parents heard a noise in the hall, they opened the door releasing two huge golden retrievers who greeted you on the steps. Again, you were not afraid, but reached out to touch them.



You quickly made new friends with people of all ages and showed us more of your personality. Your confidence, affection and intelligence have blown us all away. Roman we love you and are so happy you have become a part of our family.

3 comments:

Jaclyn Morgan said...

I intended to post this on Sept. 1, but since we are visiting in KCity, I thought I'd better get it up before we left.

Rebecca said...

so sweet... thank you! i'll have to print this one & rachel's out for him to read some day!

hear.t. and hue said...

Roman's the best! :) Seriously - he's such a gift. Love him to pieces.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.