Sunday, August 17, 2008

Cooking "Fried" Apples

Once upon a time, Grandma took the Great Apple Pickers into the house to cook up some "Fried Apples". First, the apples had to be washed. Oh, the grandchildren loved that. Here's Grandma showing Davis why they have to cook the apples---the apples aren't ripe until they are red. When, they are green, the apples have to be cooked.
After Grandma sliced the apples, she put them in a big skillet with some apple juice (Dave's grandmother undoubtedly used grease to fry apples, but. . .), cinnamon and a little sugar. A few commercial red apples were tossed in to give them a little color.


Grandma: OK, Davis, what do you think? "Grandma, I think I just want to wait until they are red so I can just eat them regular."


Grandma: Do you think they'd be a little better with some ice cream? Libby squealed with delight at the thoughts of ice cream (forget the apples).


Brett is thinking, "I hope the apples didn't ruin the taste of the ice cream."
Grandpa says, "They are just right---like my grandmother used to make". And he ate the ice cream AND the apples all up.


The End. . . .almost.

2 comments:

hear.t. and hue said...

cute! and they really are delicious - even without the icecream! despite what the grandkids say! :)

Leah Warren said...

I agree! Don't worry mom, Eli ate them up REHEATED and w/o icecream (then again he didn't just have a history lesson before he ate them...)

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.