Thursday, August 7, 2008

Food and Color

I'm the kind of person who can eat the same food day after day--I don't seek out variety. I could easily live on oatmeal, grilled cheese, hamburgers day in and day out. One of the ways I try to be more healthy is to have as much variety and color at each meal as possible. Above is a fruit salad with watermelon, cantaloupe, blueberries, strawberries, a baby greens garden salad with almonds and craisins and Trader Joe's Italian pasta with eggplant, tomatoes, squash (frozen in a bag) that I added Al Fresco chicken sausage to. The sun tea is black, white and mint tea.
Breakfast is also a huge blend--Quakers Weight Control oatmeal, Kashi Go Lean Oatmeal, almonds, raisins, dried cherries, craisins. It's very good, filling and quite low in Weight Watcher points.
I'm no Martha Stewart and certainly not Paula Deane! This fruit salad has fresh berries mixed with canned fruit cocktail. The salad is simply red leaf lettuce with a few slices of tomato. The meatballs are Trader Joe's, sauce is Prego, yellow squash is from my garden and pasta is whole wheat Heartland brand. Again, the tea is also a blend with green, black and lemon zinger teas.

I've become so addicted to colorful foods that I almost shun a plate that has light colors (although I did have chicken stroganoff last night to which I added some canned mushrooms just so it isn't white, white, white)

The only draw-back to eating food like this is it's sometimes very hard to calculate WW points. If a quarter cup of dried cherries is 2 points, how many points are 2 dried cherries? I have calculated the oatmeal to about 4.5 points because I do have it almost every day. But, those calculations are for 5 whole almonds and about 8-10 dried cranberries---not dried cranberries, cherries, raisins mixed. When I go to Weight Watchers, they always ask "Core or Flex" and I want to say "Colored", but am afraid of the response I'll get.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.