Monday, May 20, 2013

Clocks and Time


While waiting for our call to travel to Texas, I have had some time on my hands.  With the storms, coming through, we worry about power outages, but I never worry about our clocks since many of them are wind-up.  Well, some, like the one to the right don't work so well.  It is a beautiful Austrian (Vienna?) clock with a porcelain face that belonged to Dave's uncle Lowell.  Dave's dad brought it back for us after visiting his brother.

The next three clocks were all bought at auctions in the early 1970's.  The kitchen clock on the left keeps good time excepting when Dave forgets to wind it.  I was 30 minutes early for a church event because it had stopped the night before and I didn't realize it.

The octagonal face clock was bought at a farm auction.  The case is beautiful with inlaid wood, but the clock itself is a piece of junk once held together with bailing wire and the "chimes" are more like clanging cymbals.

The little Gothic looking clock is English, bought at an auction of English pieces.  While it's not wound at the present time, it keeps good time.


Finally, the mantle clock was inherited from old friends Polly and Mac.  It also keeps great time, has a pleasing chime and always reminds me of these cherished friends.  Whether heirlooms or acquired, these old clocks have been a part of our home for many years.  Just remind us to stop the chimes if you come to visit us for an over-night.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.