Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Breathe in, Breathe out


My tooth is being pulled today.
So many lost teeth.
Breathe in.

6 years old
A brief tug from my grandpa.
A popsicle and
A quarter from the tooth fairy:
Reward replaced anxiety.
Breathe out.

14 years old
Four teeth pulled for braces:
Sitting in a reclining chair at a dental school.
Dental student sweated, grumbled, tugged.
Panic in his eyes.
Did he know what he was doing?
Breathe in.

20 years old
Four impacted wisdom teeth:
Chipped and chiseled and broken,
Pulled out piece by piece.
Sitting in a  dental chair with tubes in my mouth.
Family dentist sweated, needed a break.
I went home but. .. 
Still bleeding 3 days later.
Gums packed and re-packed.
Breathe out.

73 years old.
A tooth worn out and broken.
Memories of past extractions
Heighten anxieties,
Emotions tumbling out.
Tooth is worn out. . .I’m worn out.
Age and anxiety, chipping away at me piece by piece:
Tonsils, gall bladder, ovaries, appendix.
Soon a ninth tooth.
Breathe out.

Sitting in a dental chair,
Blood pressure is too high.
The oral surgeon comes in with a smile
Dismissing my concerns with 
“That was 50 years ago!”
“How about some laughing gas?”
I can use a smile, a laugh, a buzz.
“Take deep breaths.  
Breathe in. 
Breathe out.”

Reward replaces anxiety.



No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.