Thursday, September 15, 2022

A letter home about the Oktoberfest 1966

It turns out our memories were incredibly accurate for so long ago---maybe out of order but still accurate.


Sept. 26, 1966


Dear Family,

I had to write you about the Oktoberfest while it was fresh in my mind! It was one of those things I couldn't forget even if I wanted to.  After I left Löwenbrau beer tent, Carol and I went walking around the Fairgrounds.  We went in what we thought was a spook house and were disappointed it was just dark corridors!  When we finally saw light, there were about 200 people sitting in a tent watching us.  I couldn't figure out why they were all watching but I found out soon enough when my skirt, coat and slip went flying up.  Everyone went into gales of laughter and I was so stunned I just stood there in my yellow panties in utter shock.  This guy finally pushed me off the air outlet and I joined the spectators.  I must admit it was pretty funny----especially when the girls with the real full  skirts couldn't even see where they were going because their skirts were over their heads!

After about 15 minutes, Carol and I went on the Ferris Wheel, Dodg'ems, Merry-go-round and etc.  It was great fun until they started closing.  I looked at my watch and it was only 12:30 AM.  Carol and I didn't know what in the heck we were going to do do.  So, we decided to take a train to Augsburg and find a hotel room.

We got to the train station to discover that our suitcase was locked up in the check room.  So, we decided to go to the waiting room to spend the night.  We spotted some American Service men, sat next to them (three other men had tried to pick us up and we decided it might be better if we ran into some of our own countrymen) We started talking to them and found out they didn't have a place to stay either  and couldn't even speak German!  Just then a porter came up and informed us the station was going to close and we would have to leave!  I couldn't believe it ---what were we to do? I asked the porter what we could do or where we could go. He told us of a restaurant next to the train station that would be open.

So, Carol, Jim, Bob and I went to the restaurant.  We drank 6  cups of coffee and two cups of tea until it was time for the restaurant to close.  It was about 4 AM, so we decided to just stroll around the station.  All of the doors were locked excepting one---but it had a chain across it with a sign reading "Do not enter--station closed" I looked at the guys and Carol and said, "I can't read German, can you?"  They all said no and we casually stepped over the chain.

We got in the station and there were about 200 other people who couldn't read German either!  These 200 were stretched out on benches, propped up against the walls, in doorways, in telephone booths and sitting on steps.  There were even 4 who had brought cots and were snoozing away!  We found a few vacant steps and sat down.  Strangely enough we sat down next to 2 other Americans.  The girl was from Denver and was touring with 2 other girls.  Unfortunately she had gotten separated from them at the Oktoberfest and didn't know where their hotel was.  She had had the same problems Carol and I had before we latched on to Jim and Bob.  So she found herself an American serviceman---Bill from NY (Jim was from Louisiana and Bob Concord Mass).  So all six of us talked for awhile and then snoozed some until day break.  

I say we snoozed some because there was a man next to us all stretched out and snoring so loud that it's a miracle anyone could sleep in the train station! We contemplated putting our coats over his head but we were afraid he would smother to death and then we would have a murder on our hands on top of everything else. 

At 6:30 AM, we bid adieu to everyone, got our suit case and took the train back to Memmingen.  Jim took Carol's and my picture.  He and Bob promised to write. I don't know if they will!  It was all great fun!  Carol and I didn't know what to do when those men tried to pick us up.  So, I thought, "What would Mother do in the same situation?" Then it all came to me---find a serviceman!  And, it paid off pretty good!


No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.