Thursday, July 25, 2024

English Language and Poetry


I love the English language.  While some people majored in English for literature and some for writing, I majored in English  because I love the language:  the history, the idiosyncrasies, the sounds, the plays on words and the shear poetry of it. Studying literature, I was attracted to poetry because it is English at its finest with each word carefully chosen.

Beginning with nursery rhymes, I've always enjoyed poetry.  I even wrote a piece about friends while at Girl Scout Camp "Everyone has friends, The butcher, the baker, The candlestick maker.  Everyone has friends." Sounds a little like a nursery rhyme doesn't it?

 One reason I enjoyed studying German was to better understand how English evolved as a Germanic language.  There I found the answers to questions like "Why does "two" have a "w" in it?" (Depending on the dialect, "two" is "zwei" or "zwo"in  German)  

While in high school I read poetry in Speech and Drama Tournaments.  Reading and analyzing William Blake's "The Tyger" took me to State where I won 2nd place. After re-reading it,today, I kind of wonder what I said about it that got me to State. I did give it a very dramatic reading which was more points than the analysis, I guess.

Later while in college I studied Victorian and Romantic Poets, but I never attempted to write poetry again until I was an adult.  I first began writing humorous rhyming pieces for invitations or  for greeting cards. One year I decided to write Haiku to accompany art my daughters' made for Christmas cards .Click here

When I taught English, of course I taught poetry.  The Harlem Renaissance poets really caught my eye.  I also enjoy Maya Angelou and lately Amanda Gorman.  I loved their terse style and vivid imagery in addition to the "blues"  Click here

Of course a message or a story is important. To achieve that a poet uses metaphors, similes, alliteration, form, personification, sound, repetition, rhythm, rhyme, symbolism and imagery. Not all poems have them all and rhyme is just one element which I choose not to use.

Rhyming is not important to me----rhymes are often forced.  And. .. ..what rhymes for a person in 18th century England doesn't rhyme in 21st century America.   So, I don't see rhymes as being universal for all English speaking people. However, rhymes don't have to be at the end of a line.  I aspire to rhyme like Amanda Gorman with her internal rhyming: 

We did not feel prepared to be the heirs of such a terrifying hour,
but within it, we found the power to author a new chapter, to offer hope and laughter to ourselves."

After many years, I started writing poetry again.  It's not something I can just sit down and start writing.  It's more like an itch that I need to scratch.  I find words and phrases in my head that I keep playing with. I write notes sometimes in text messages to myself.  After a while it starts to take shape.  I've even written poetry about. . . .writing poetry.

Words in the Wind

 


Words, images, ideas whirl in my head like leaves in the wind.

I try to catch them in the breeze, but they have their own mind.

I sit  and watch and wait.

The wind slows, 

the leaves drift down---

Fluttering to the ground, 

settling in the grass:

Poetry on a page.


Whittling Words


Writing poetry
is not just rhyming
not just couplets
not just alliteration.

Writing poetry
is choosing 
words wisely, whittling  away
at thoughts,
until a form appears,
an image takes shape---

Smoothing down the edges,
Sanding down the unnecessary,
Searching for the true.



Writing poetry
is not rhyming 
not couplets
Not alliter. . . hmm. . . .maybe 
alliteration is all right after all.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.