Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Long Family Reunion

We know the Long's have been having reunions since 1931---we have a photo from then. For the past 20 years we have had them at Walther Park (above) which is beside Joachim Creek where our parents used to swim with their cousins. The reunions have been held at the Long Farm (on Stonehouse Rd. below),Clarence Long's farm (where I remember them as a child), Virginia Lee's house (below---Fred Long on the left in 1975)
Bill Long brought several items to show us including his grandfather Tom Long's turkey rifle "Long Tom".
He also had Tom Long's pocket watch. . .

Bill brought photos which he is showing his cousin Dave Long below.
Click here to see some of the photos.
We also found out that our cousin Dr. Curtis Long was named Missouri Family Physician of the Year.

We each brought food to share,
Had a chance to "visit" with one another.

And, had our annual family portrait made.
Front Row: Dave Long, Virginia Lee Long Isgrigg, Allen Long, Ron Long, Margie Long, Bill Long with children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of "the cousins" who were Tom Long's grandchildren.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.