Saturday, June 17, 2017

Killarney July 21, 2006

We didn't sleep very well and woke up at 7:45.  We had no air conditioning, so had to leave our windows open---we were across the street from the movies and over a pub.  We tried to turn the TV on to mask the noise from the commotion outside, but it went off the air at 3 AM and they were still having a great time.
Great Southern Hotel

Batt Burns

Breakfast was poached eggs, toast, Canadian bacon, OJ and tomato.  Then we walked to the Great Southern Hotel where we heart Batt Burns who told stories of Kerry.  He was a great story-teller reminding me of Howard Gleason and Grover Morgan.


Then we boarded the bus and hiked to a presentation on Killarney National Park---flora, fauna, ecology and a little history---this park was begun as a donation from Americans in the 1930's, but the Irish didn't know what a national park was.  We were given 10 Euros for lunch to eat at Danny Mann's put.  Then we walked around and checked email.  Although others went on carriage and boat rides, we rested, watched the British Open and waited for our suitcases to arrive.

After dinner, we went to Siamsa Tire in Tralee for a dance, musical, dramatic production of Clann Lir (Children of Lir) which was spectacular!  We got back to International Hotel about 11 PM.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.