Monday, December 18, 2023

Grandparents


Although both sets of grandparents lived fairly close, I spent most of my time with the Wickers.  My Long grandparents, who lived on Flad, had Ron who was just 8 years older AND all of my cousins.  The Wickers lived next door, with no children at home and only my sister and I for about 9 years.


Their home was more of a shotgun style house with one room leading into another.  When you walked in the front door, you were in the living room which had beautiful stained glass windows high on the outside wall.  If you turned left, you were in the sun room with windows covered in eyelet sheers on three sides.  I loved “hiding” behind the curtains---I can still smell the dusty starch of those sheers.  After they were washed they were dipped in starch and put on a frame called “stretchers”.  When dry, they hung stiffly from the rods, but I loved them when they were limp again and filled with dust.  I’d bat them and watch the dust fly in the sun light like miniature, silent fireworks.


Jane said we used to play a game which was pick a color and count the cars.  I’d always win because I was shrewd enough to know there were more black cars than a color.  Jane, always the romantic, would pick blue (her favorite color) and lose. . . .but she never learned. . . .sigh, little sisters are so hard to train.


I loved being with my grandparents---cards, fishing, delicatessen,wooshy-wooshy.  Eating fish on Fridays

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.