Sunday, January 7, 2018

Scotland Part 4 and England

July 9, 2000 (cont.)
From Crannog, we drove to Stirling and started the castle tour in the driving rain.  May not have seen the entire castle but rain tapered off for photos. (we left the video camera in the car because of the rain).  Great visitor's center with a free video.

Went to our B&B Castlerock which was on the castle rock but not in the Old Town but on the back side.  We decided to walk to dinner in the rain.  This doesn't feel like Scotland any more.




B&B Castlerock in left corner

July 10, 2000
Took a walk through Old Town---sy was clearing and we could see the mountains.  The weather on TV showed the rain following us all the way to S.E. England which was pretty much true.  Noticed some differences from the last time we were here.  More European trucks, Euro flag is everywhere.  Scotland displays the Scottish flag (a white X on blue background) and surprisingly seeing more of the English flag (white cross on red background.  Stayed near the airport at Vulcan Lodge a cute B&B with a dog named Woody.

July 11, 2000
Got up and drove to Brighton---very cool for a beach resort.  Enjoyed the Royal Pavilion and the Pavilion Pier. (wish I'd known my ancestor William Reed/Farncombe was from Pyecomb---7 miles away)
Brighton


Brighton Pier

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.