Monday, January 1, 2018

Paris


Paris is one of those places that was never on my bucket list, but it probably should have been.  I first went with a group of middle school students, and then went back the following year, I think.  Dave and I were using frequent flyer miles to go to Scotland, but could only schedule a flight into Paris (home through London).  So, we decided to spend a few days in Paris.

I don't have anything against Paris other than I don't speak French.  My first time (with the students), I had my friend, the French teacher, to help out.  I learned then that the French weren't as bad as I had heard, if I attempted to speak French.  I knew basic greetings, polite language, numbers and the Parisians seemed OK with that---maybe amused, but I could live with amused before the famous French sneer.
View from Eiffel Tower

Me and St. Louis


Notre Dame outside

View from hotel window
So, June 27, 2000, Dave and I were off for Scotland Highlands via Paris.  Our hotel (Hotel Monceau Elysees) was very nice.  Small room but clean and convenient to the Metro.  It was in a nice neighborhood with an outdoor cafe nearby.  No one spoke English and we couldn't get them to understand we wanted dinner, so we had salad.  A husky knew Dave was a soft touch.  Dave resisted feeding him, but the dog still stayed at his feet until the plate was carried off.

June 29, 2000 We had 2 rolls for breakfast, very strong coffee, juice and cereal.  We took the Metro to the Eiffel Tower.  There was hardly any line (we were there at 8:45AM---it opened at 9:15).  It was still cloudy but the sun started to come out as we left.  Then we went to Notre Dame and Saint Chapelle, each interesting in its own way.

We had lunch and then went to the Louvre.  We saw all the "biggies" and left around 5:00.  After strolling down Rue Rialto, we came back to the hotel and rested before we headed to the French Quarter for dinner.
Versailles

Versailles

Françoise d'Aubigné, Marquise de Maintenon
June 30, 2000  Today we went to Versailles by the RER.  Tickets were 29 francs ($4.25) and Versailles was $12.50 which included an hour and a half guided tour.  The Trianon weren't really worth it.  Ride the tram if you want to see them.  A walk to the restaurant at the Grand Canal would have been nice---there was an outdoor cafe.  We saw Madame d'Aubigne's portrait---she is supposedly related to us.  Her half brother is our ancestor.

Then we went to the Latin Quarter where we ate at an Alsatian restaurant.  I had Wiener Schnitzel---should have had something else (note to self---eat French food in France, German food in Germany).  I was disappointed by Versailles---I'd seen too many German castles fully furnished.  I'd been to Herrenchiemsee castle which was modeled on Versailles.  Now granted, Ludwig's beautiful Bavarian castles are not as old nor were they lived in, but they are so impressive.  So much at Versailles was destroyed by the Revolution that they have to re-purchase items.  One piece was recently purchased from Sothebys for 12 million pounds.

July 1, 2000 We got up at 6 AM to take a cab to Gar d' North where we would board the Eurostar train to go to England through the Chunnel.  The customs were a pain as usual with dogs sniffing us.  I loved the train to England though---very comfortable way to travel.

Yes, I kept a journal---I always keep a travel journal.  The problem this time was finding it.  It was in the same notebook as my bucket list. 



No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.