Saturday, January 6, 2018

Scotland Part 3

Pitlochery
On Ranoock Moor
July 8, 2000
Pitlochery---this is more like I expected in Skye and Ft. William.  Beautiful flowere , tourist shops, the town bustling with activity.  On our way there, we stopped at Blair Castle home of the Murrays---Duke Ath-oll (that's how it's pronounced).  We saw a copy of the Covenant, more weapons than I could believe.  The Murrays were among the first to start re-forestation with over 20 million trees planted on the estate---any of which are still living.  Hardly any furniture is earlier than 1600's because the quality of wood wasn't sturdy enough and wood worms attacked it.  I loved the Wedgewood type of plaster painting over the gaudiness of Versailles.  The furniture here was the furniture the family had when the turned over the estate to the Trust.


Blair Castle
July 9, 2000
Hated to leave Pitlochery---such a beautiful town.  We tried the scenic rout but couldn't see anything---too rainy.  We stopped at a lime kiln (saw sheep remains---probably fell into the quarry).

The best was Crannog---Iron Age lake dwellings.  Very interesting video, demonstrations.  From there we drove to Stirling.
Crannog


Scenery along the way

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.