Thursday, January 4, 2018

Scotland Part Two

Dunvegan
July 5, 2000
We went to Mallaig today on the "Road to the Isles".  This was the jumping off point to the Western Isles.  We are more confused than ever about road designations.  An "A" road usually has two marked lanes, but one "A" became one lane with pull out areas.

We saw the place where the mineral strontianite was discovered in 1722.  The element strontium was discovered in it which is used in nuclear power.  A sleepy town but once  the site of mining.  Then we came around Loch Linke and saw Ft. William from across the loch.  I broke down and bought a fleece 19.95 pounds.

July 6, 2000
Left Croft House B & B on Lochview in Ft. William.  40,000 used this port to emigrate to New Worlds.  It had 3 other names including Marysburgh.
Monument to Jacobites

Eilean Donan

Eilean Donan

Road to Skye (bridge in background)

Invergarry is a Victorian planned village of the Ellice family who made money with Hudson Bay Company.  Click here for more information.  A hotel here is the remnants of a castle destroyed by Cumberland because they housed Bonnie Prince Charles before and after Culloden.  Visited Glenfinnan where there is a monument to the Jacobites.

Then, we went to Skye---beautiful scenery and beautiful day.  Stayed at Rosebank B&B in Portree.  Ate at Portree House.  Also saw Eilean Donan in Kyle of Lochalsh---often seen in movies like The Highlander and James Bond.
Skye

Skye

Skye

Skye

Kilt Falls Skye

July 7, 2000
We went around the peninsula today---rainy and cold.  Saw Kilt Falls, Dunvegan Castle.  The clouds kept us from seeing a lot of the scenery.  What strikes me is how few people live here.  A village is 2 houses.  Shops advertise they are in Glendale when they are miles apart.  Although they paint the houses (usually white but sometimes pastel), one area painted everything but the exposed rock giving the house an odd polka dot look.  Some of the B&Bs are incredibly remote.  I've decided there are few houses in the Highlands that are not B&Bs.  "No Vacancy" just means they don't want visitors at that time.  The scenery reminds us of the West (USA) but greener.  I wonder if this area is much more populous than when the Vikings were here.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.