Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Scotland Part one

July 1, 2000
After arriving in England, we took the Tube to Heathrow where we picked up a rental car and headed to Scotland.  We had intended to spend the night in England but our room was on the other side of the motorway, so we went on to Annandale Water at a lovely motor lodge.

We called Mom to wish her happy birthday and talked to Leah---all is well.  We bought the best gift in Annandale---a Scottish hat with ginger hair.  We also bought Nessie beanies!
Port Appin
Ft. William the guy in the sweater was doing a little shuffling jig



July 2
After breakfast (a bit pricey), we hit the road around Glasgow and around Loch Lomond. A82-A85-A81-A811-A81-A85-A82 to Port William---were we going around in circles?  We learned the Grahams were from this region.  The Duke of Montrose is a Graham (I'm a Graham on my father's side) and he's the one who built the pass we took.  We saw long-haired cattle, but they were so close and we were driving too fast to photograph.  The funniest site was driving through that pass and seeing a Bag-piper in the middle of nowhere playing for a tour bus.

Bought a dog playing bagpipes for Grover and a AA atlas

July 3 (cloudy)
Glen Coe---saw a video at the visitor's center and we walked a bit.  We're taking  the Argyle driving tour with lunch at the Argyle Hotel in Inverary.  Learning more about Scottish history helps me learn about my family history and American history.  I know understand why so many Scots explored the Wilderness---it wasn't any more isolated or wild than this is.  After hearing about the Massacre of Glen Coe, I understand more of why so many Scots emigrated to America, Australia and Canada.
Urquhart Castle

Loch Lomond

On a B road (mostly one lane)
Culloden

July 4 (cool drizzly) Loch Ness
We saw Urquhart Castle--just pretty ruins, no real historical significance
Culloden we got more background on the Scottish dispersal.  Then we drove through the Cairgorms on many B roads.  At Culloden saw Ellice---drying to photo family.  Later saw family at Ben Nevis Restaurant (I have no idea what that means 17 years later) "Weather rather cloudy---rain here and there for July 5"

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.