Monday, November 1, 2010

In and Around Boston

We packed quite a bit in our 3 day trip to Boston. We stayed in the Custom House which is the lit clock tower above. As you can see it's in easy walking distance to Quincy Market (the pillars).
(From Tom and Donna's room) The white steepled building and domed building with the long buildings attached and across the way are Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market.
We took a bus tour where we saw Cheers (the bar the TV series was based on).
Boston has that wonderful juxtaposition of historic buildings and modern skyscrapers which actually intensifies and reflects the history that's Boston.
Fenway Park---didn't looks so much traditional and historic as run-down. Don't tell the Red Sox fans about the new stadiums with padded seats, buffets, elevators. . .they'd rather rough it. . .but, then we always suspected they were masochists.
I got to visit my cousin Bob in his new "digs" at Brigham House.
He has a view of an elementary school baseball field right outside his window. He said, "It's not Fenway Park, but . . ." I didn't want to hurt his Red Sox feelings by telling him it looks more comfortable than Fenway.
Within walking distance of Custom House was also the IMAX theater (we saw "3D Hubble") and the New England Aquarium. They featured a penguin exhibit. . .
And a huge tank rising several stories that is the core of the museum.
We even saw divers feeding the fish.Our trip ended with an excursion to the country-side south of Boston (seen in the distance) to see some color. We were still a little early, but. . .

Thanks ,Tom and Donna for hosting our visit!

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.