Friday, October 29, 2010

Salem, Mass.

While in Boston last week, we went to Salem for the afternoon.
Apparently, this is the place to be for Halloween---over 100,000 will be there Halloween weekend.
And, the locals dress up---even the red hat society ladies (this is from a brochure, but we did see three of them walking on the street)
We opted for the trolley ride around town. We were however hampered with the plastic sheeting. I soon figured out how to loosen it around the edges to take photos.
There are plenty of Witch Sites to see---the Witch museum I remembered from years ago is being tuck-pointed so I didn't get any photos of it.
The tour took us out of town giving us the history of this area besides the Witch Trial part.
Although this cove is not the Bay of Fundy, the tides are pretty dramatic here.
There were many beautiful homes befitting a major shipping and whaling port in 18th and 19th century New England.
Although we didn't see as many costumed characters as on weekends, we did have a few eerie sightings. . .

Is this a real witch, or one of the costumed characters? Is there a fog swirling around her, or did I shoot into the sun? Is that an aura emanating from her, or a finger print on my lens? You decide. Bwa-ha-ha.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.