Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Big River Part I

Alice Quiel, Norma Adams, Lena Long with Steve Adams and a dog, early 1950's
Big River should NEVER be confused with a big river or the Musical Big River. It's a tributary of the Meramec River which is a tributary of the Mississippi (THE Big River). My family has lived along the Big River since the early 1800's---years before Missouri was even a state.
(Mary Long and Alice Quiel, Lena's daughter)
To most of us Long cousins, Big River means "Uncle Lawrence's Club House". Talking with my cousins this summer, I was surprised they had such warm memories. My memories are of outhouses, muddy river banks, poker games at night, mosquitoes, having to swim in tennis shoes because of the rocks and mud, and Grandpa telling me, "Frog legs taste just like chicken."

L-R: Louise Long, Jane, Michael, Me, Bob, Steve, Norma (standing) and Grandma Lena
I do remember floating in inner tubes with my cousins and our step-grandmother Lena! Lena was a large woman, but she loved to swim---she was never self conscious about how she looked in a swim suit!

Although the clubhouse belonged to Grandpa's brother Lawrence, if you were related to us, you were invited. Above is Maxine Huskey Maupin, Mom, Lena with Jane, Steve and me in the front.
Above is Walter Maupin (left) who was Grandma Vivian's brother (Maxine Maupin was his wife)
I'm not sure who is in this picture---Grandpa (Roy Long) is on the right and that may be Uncle Lawrence on the left. The child may be my cousin Judy Wassmund.
Since this says 1962, I am pretty sure these are two of my Wassmund cousins or Alice Quiel's daughters Janet and Catherine
And, not sure who is here either.
Steve says he remembers the path to the outhouse---I've blocked so much from my memories.

This is Judy Wassmund who still loves to fish!This photo of Grandpa and Lena was NOT made on the Big River, but I love it. Whenever I think of Lena it's with a huge smile and in an inner tube---miss you both. Now, I welcome my cousins to tell me their stories and memories of Big River for Part II. These photos all belonged to my cousin Steve. Part II will be my family's photos!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jaci, just love the BIG RIVER pictures on your blog... brought back such great memories... We all spent much time there in our young years. And it was at the BIG RIVER that Grandpa took me rabbit hunting for my first and last time. Loved going fishing there and swimming in the river.
Mike Delaney

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.