Saturday, October 9, 2010

American Royal Barbecue

While in Kansas City, we also visited the American Royal Barbecue. It's part cooking contest, part carnival, part state fair, part tail-gate party.
Hundreds of groups come to this event from all over the United States to "pit" their barbecue skills against each other. Each group sets up an area where they prepare their food and party.
Many of the signs reflect local humor---Jayhawks are KU's mascot.

There was also a lot of pig humor!

But our main reason for going was to see a friends' stand.
Jason and Rebecca, while not cooking, helped set up the area.

And, Rebecca made the T-shirts.
While walking through all of these hundreds of exhibits, we actually ran into the Lelugas on their way to their stand!

This is actually held in Kansas CITY---note the stands are beneath the highway over pass.
And it is near railroad tracks where we saw an old air plane being transported on a flat bed car.
More funny signs and stands. . .

Kansas City is indeed more of a Western town, or as my son-in-law says, "A Cowtown".
Finally, we found the stands to eat before we hit the road back to St. Louis
The next day was to be a 5K run "Run your Pork Butt off"

1 comment:

DaveM said...

Note: The "old plane" was actually a just-made fuselage for a Boeing 737 jetliner. There were 3 or 4 others, behind it, on other railroad cars. I think they are assembled in Wichita, then they go by rail to Seattle for completing the aircraft's assembly. / Dave Morgan

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.