Thursday, October 7, 2010

Tom Long's Long Tom

While at a family reunion a few weeks ago, I had temporary custody of my great-grandfather's shot gun---Tom Long's Long Tom. To find out a little more about my acquiring it, click here.
I wanted a photo of each of my grand children holding it---their great-great-great grandfather's shot gun.
The kids did really well, perched on a picnic bench.
It's so rare for us to get them all together, much less pose for so many photos.

They were doing so well, Rachel said, "Let's get a photo of them all WITHOUT the gun." So, I went over, grabbed the gun from Anna's hands. Turned around to take a photo in time for me to see her falling forward in a face plant!
Apparently Anna Oakley liked holding on to that shot-gun.
But, we weren't done with the gun---it needed to go my cousin Curtis who lives in Butler, MO.

Dave and I tossed Roman and Eli in the car to drive to Curtis's farm in Butler. They had a great time climbing hay bales . . .
Chasing kittens. . .

And exploring the pens---to the left of this pen were the bulls---the boys wanted to "pet the cows." Sometimes petting zoos give the kids a false sense of reality!
Afterwards, we went to "the store"---half of it is hunting supplies (Roman has a hunting bow in his hand---he and Eli are in a deer stand) and the other half is office supplies.
It's also where my cousin Curtis has many of his hunting trophies!
Before we headed back to Kansas City, we stopped for some ice cream. It was a wonderful day full of family history, grandchildren and ice cream!

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.