Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Oma's Trunk


 While getting ready for the church rummage sale, I found box after box of. . . . vintage items.  I have old books, newspapers, magazines, postcards, stamps.  Then, I have lace, patterns, buttons, trim and other sewing paraphernalia.  Some I inherited, but I bought a lot at garage sales 25 years ago, too.
 Rachel visited over Labor Day weekend and helped me get started.  I had already decided what I would sell and the name of my shop---Oma's Trunk.  All of the stuff I had could easily fit in a trunk (as opposed to a closet or an attic), but I knew the name "Grandma" was probably already taken.  Since I have German books and maps, I decided on "Oma", the German word for "Grandma".
 We quickly decided that Grandpa Long's trunk photographed better than mine.
 While Rachel handled the artistic details (like the banner at the top of the page), I researched my items to see what my treasures could sell for.
 We made the Dining Room the staging area because of the large table top and good Northern light.
 I had to break out my iron which hasn't been used since my son-in-law Todd was here last. 

Staging area for most photos----note ladder to stand on!

Rachel and I agree that the above photo wasn't the best way to display the collar, but this scarf was a real headache.  I didn't like it flat but Rachel didn't like any of my hanging ideas.




 

I think we finally agreed on these.  Not too busy, but showing off how the scarf looks draped.  So, here is my Etsy shop.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

hear.t. and hue said...

i don't mind the one on the top left [where the ECHO scarf is making a P]. funny about the iron! it all looks GREAT & i wish you tons of success. but you're doing GREAT SO FAR! i had to bribe aunt jane to set up an etsy account to 'order' from me [instead of via the phone / e-mail] so she could be my 1st sale! :) "0" sales is no place to be! i was there for 2 or 3 weeks!

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.