Friday, September 23, 2011

Oma's Trunk Update

 The purpose of setting up an Etsy site was to clean out some of my "collections".  In 3 weeks, I have made a bit of a dent.  I have sold 11 items to 5 different customers for a little under $100.  The following items are all gone!
 These buttons were from the 1940's---one woman had one button for $5 on Etsy.  I sold mine for $15. 

 The first sale I made was to Noel---3 wedding dress sleeves (each was different) from turn of the century and also some trim from sheets and a pillow case.  I did inherit the sleeves.  Mom said they came from "Mom" Curran---I think they were probably dress maker's samples.  I have had them for over 30 years and never could figure out what to do with them.  There was nothing out there like this so it was hard to set a price.  Since I had two buyers at the same time, I priced them too cheaply, but, then, they are gone and I made a first sale!
 Next, I sold three patterns to the same buyer---all were designer patterns.  I had bought them at a garage sale years ago probably for a dime and sold them for $10-15 each.
 I sold this one to a different person and advertised it as being like on Mad Men.  When I did a search of Mad Men dress patterns. . . .I was shocked how many were promoting the patterns this way!
 I sold the Life Magazine for $5---the envelope cost 2.50.  By the time I added the Etsy and Paypal fees, I made $1----not sure if it is worth Dave's gas to sell these magazines.
I was tempted to keep these gloves---but I sold them---washable suede and they are beautiful!  Leah asked what I was going to do if I ran out of stock.  Well, that gave me permission to go shopping, right?  Although I have been to a few garage sales, I haven't really bought anything.  I have bought a few things at Thrift Stores, though. 
Above are 4 scarves I bought at Good Will last weekend.  Soon, some of them will find their way to Etsy.  One is an Anne Klein, one Ellen Tracy and one Escada, but one is a no name that I bought for myself. I guess you'll have to go to my Etsy site to see what is for sale and what isn't!  Remember it is Oma's Trunk!

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.