Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Oma's Trunk One Month



Drum roll!  I'm a statistics kind of person and thought I'd share the statistics on my first full month selling my "vintage" garage sale items on Etsy.  My back story is, I discovered a huge box in the basement filled with postcards, stamps, books, booklets this summer.  I always knew I wanted to sell my sewing collection---I don't sew, most were purchased almost 30 years ago.
I have sold all of these buttons--- this one has snake heads on it!  I bought boxes and jars of buttons for many years and some of them are wonderful.  They deserved a better life than languishing in my basement.
These were HUGE---2 inches each--- and actually cone shaped.  I thought I'd dig them out since big buttons seem to be "in".  I have sold $63 worth of buttons.  Yes, I have about 98% of my collection still in jars. . . .
I thought since it was close to Halloween, I might sell this colonial era pattern and I did to someone in Springfield, MO!  I have sold 5 patterns for almost $50.  Granted many were 1950's and earlier, but still---tissue patterns!
 But I haven't been very successful selling sheet music, magazines or books---which I have plenty of!
 Although I have sold some lace---no doilies---again, I have huge numbers of this.
 I really thought I'd sell some scarves---the one above is 33 inches and Escada (definitely a boutique brand)---maybe closer to Valentines.

Post cards have also had little interest.  Oh, well, I really can't complain.

Here are the statistics for ONE month:  1034 Views; 75 Favorites; 17 orders with 21 items sold for $172.  I also achieved my personal goal of listing over 100 items in a month!  So, despite the lack of interest in some of my items, I think I have done well.  By the way, the buttons at the top of the page were my all time favorites.  Just happy to say I sold them to someone in Missouri who said I could have visitation rights! :-)

So, hurry to Oma's Trunk to get your bargains!

1 comment:

Frau Nelson said...

This is so cool! My aunt wants sheet music from a specific year...I'll ask her. :)

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.