Friday, September 2, 2011

Alaska 2002 Part IV


 Still sunny on June 16 as we entered College Fjord.  Here we saw otters and whales in addition to the beautiful Glaciers.
 Our dinner table on this cruise was the most interesting one we have ever had----we all were from Missouri or had Missouri connections:  two couples (minister, wife, church secretary, her husband) were from Lamar, Mo (Gages and Littles) and the other couple were the parents of Larry Rice.  All of us being from Missouri were familiar with his ministries---Dave had even volunteered there.
 We disembarked in Seward and took a bus to Anchorage.  We saw a lot of dead wood which is from the 1964 Alaskan Earthquake, a 9.2 on the Richter scale.  Because the area dropped 5 feet, salt water rushed in killing all of the spruces.   Click here for more information.
 We also stopped at a Wildlife park where we were able to see moose, elk, caribou (there are more caribou than people in this area). 
 We took a bus tour telling us more about the Alaskan earthquake---damage was still very visible almost 40 years later.  Ships no longer come to Anchorage after the earthquake but with tides of 35 feet, I can't imagine the large cruise ships managing it.
 We also had some time to walk around Anchorage.  The cruise lines had a large terminal in Anchorage where we could check our luggage or just sit waiting for our flights.  We had been told that Mt. Ranier is rarely seen from the ground----thousands are disappointed.  But, as we were leaving Alaska, there it was reaching out past the clouds.
It was a great vacation---we look forward to going again sometime. 

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.