Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Alaska 2002 Part III

 After lunch on June 14, we went on my favorite excursion---a helicopter ride to a glacier in Skagway, Alaska.
 I was a little nervous about taking Dave out on ice, but we had no problems.  We were all given special boots and spiked canes.  And, yes, the people in the background have on shorts.  The temperature at the ship was in the 80's.
 The glaciers weren't really slippery---they were more like chunks of popcorn sized ice with rocks embedded.
 We were able to fly over the glaciers, but also saw the Chilkoot Trail.
 Having just read a book on the Alaskan Gold Rush, I could appreciate how difficult that pass must have been.
 June 15 was one of our days at sea---we cruised Glacier Bay.  The onboard naturalist told us periodically where the glaciers had been with the various explorers.  The retreat of the glaciers was astonishing.
 We saw glaciers "calving" into the water and otters floating on chunks of ice.
 It was a bit cooler with the temperature in the 60's, but a cold wind made it feel cooler.

The next day, we cruised the College Fjord.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.