Sunday, August 28, 2011

Alaska 2002

 I might not have had a blog in 2002, but I still took photos and journalled. So, let's re-wind this blog to June 10, 2002.
 We flew to Minneapolis and then to Vancouver.  The airport was beautiful and reminds me of Munich with all of the glass but has totem poles, beautiful art and evergreen trees.  Behind the art above is water cascading down.  After a brief tour of Vancouver, we arrived on the ship around 3 PM in room A 502.  It was 60 degrees and sunny.
 June 11 was one of our days "at sea".  We saw a slide show on whales and watched where we were on the map on the TV in our room.
 We walked around the deck and sat in our room watching the scenery off our balcony.
 On June 12 (our 31st anniversary), we arrived in Ketchikan.
 We were apparently there on one of their rare sunny days---see the rain gauge above.
 We went to the Saxman Village, saw totem poles and Native American dancers. 
 It was OK, but I would have been happy getting a trolley ride and riding around.
At dinner we were about to have dessert when people started standing up and rushing to the windows.  I saw just the hump of an Orca.  We could tell he was close because birds were following to get the left-overs.  I was too far away to get a photo, but above is another view from our balcony.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.