Wednesday, August 17, 2011

One is Silver, The Other Gold

 "Make new friends. . . .
But keep, the old. . .

 One is silver. . . .

 The other gold."

 I think of that song often---I learned it in Girl Scouts.  Coincidentally (or not), my golden "old" friends are from Girl Scouts.  Kathy (with me in front of the fireplace) and Carol above with her daughter and husband were grade school, high school and Girl Scout friends.
One of the best things about being retired is being free to visit with friends whether they are in Texas or Missouri.  This grouping of "new" friends is from church.  The Drakes and Tenapases above have been friends for over 30 years, but my definition of "old" friends are people we've known before 1971 when we married.

As much as I love going out to eat with teacher friends (the first group of photos), "old" friends, church friends (the last group), I just wish it didn't all show on the scale the next day.  So, I guess I'll go to Wellbridge a few more times this week and work out with some of my newest friends---those I've made since I retired.

1 comment:

Sister Jane said...

I have always said that my sister collects people (friends). Whether a nursing home, hospital hall, grocery store, restaurant, I always lose my sister as she races across the room to say hi to a friend! She sees friends in foreign countries, cruise ships, airports, everywhere in the world.

Most people have collections of trinkets, my sister has a collection of people and a great treasure trove of memories.

I don't know anyone else like her but her daughter Leah is running a close second.

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.