Sunday, January 22, 2012

Still Looking for Eagles

 We might have seen a few eagles fly over while we were driving along the river road, but we were hungry and decided to stop for lunch in Grafton with no confirmed sightings.
 Ruebel's had a delicious menu and wonderful atmosphere with their 1904 World's Fair bar. Dave and I had eaten at the Pere Marquette Lodge when we had gone several years ago (Click here), but this was a nice alternative.   Refreshed, we were ready to head home---not the same way we had gone. . .

 On the Brussel's Free Ferry---crossing the Illinois River to a peninsula area of beautiful farmland and rolling hills.
 Then, we had to take the Golden Eagle Ferry across the Mississippi River. . .not free.
 But, just as we got off that ferry and the sun was starting to set, Brett says, "Look at that dot in the tree---it's an eagle."  As chance would have it, there was a gravel area for us to pull off the road and get a closer look
Although, Rachel's was not as blurry as mine, I think you can still see the white head on the eagle! 

1 comment:

Leah Warren said...

yah!!! I was hoping there was a good ending...

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.