Thursday, May 24, 2012

St. Mark Presbyterian--50 Years!

Our church is celebrating its 50 years anniversary this year.  I am the historian of the church and have been busy for a year getting photos together, helping with a new history book,
Writing articles for the newsletter and attending meetings. With the celebration Memorial Day Weekend, we are all pitching in cutting place mats, picking up balloons, setting tables.

But, I am also on the Communications Committee at church.  One of our members (checking his cell phone) recently "retired" from his Public Relations job, came to our meeting urging us to move forward for the next 50 years.  He made several important points.  The first one was an organization needs to reach out to its members daily, weekly, monthly, yearly.  Another point was by 2014, more people will be accessing the internet via a mobile device than a desk top computer.  In other words, our web-site, bulletin, newsletters and annual reports were great, but we needed more.
So, we created a blog Discover St. Mark.  This will allow us to have more current access than the newsletter, more in depth than the bulletin and more accessible and readable on cell phones than the web site.   We are still working on our Facebook Presence---we have 4 different groups already there:  youth, adult Sunday School, Preschool, Alums.  Steve also pointed out the popularity of Pinterest. We already had Twitter, but didn't do much with it, but with the blog and pinterest, we could easily make it a viable communications tool.
The name of our Pinterest site is also DiscoverStMark.  So, I have been a little pre-occupied lately.   Next is wireless!  We hope to have some classes once our wireless is up and running to teach our members how to use these tools and hopefully others will learn how to contribute.

Oh, and I just learned how to do a screen capture on a Mac (command, shift, 3)---I love learning new things!

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.