Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Lamps


 I bought two matching lamps a few years ago from Target like the one above.  One has broken---no longer having an electrician in town, I was forced to give the broken one to Good Will and tried to find two new ones.
Moving the one good Target lamp to the sunroom, Rachel said she would take Grover's old lamp (which had been out there) for Kyle's study.

So I went to Pier One, World Market looking for new lamps---they were all made in China.  I decided to bite the bullet and go to a good furniture store where I just bought my Stickley (made in USA) sofa.  The only American made lamps they had ran $1500 EACH---a little over my budget.  The saleswoman suggested I try Craig's List. . .

Next, I went to a local lighting store.  When I told her I was looking for floor lamps not made in China, she said, "Then, I will have to show you the door."

My next stops were thrift stores---high and low end---nothing.

Finally, I looked on line and found two lamps which were not perfect, but. . .
They will do---solid, not terribly expensive and American-made.  But, it got me thinking of how few NEW lamps I have bought.

From Grover:

From Mom:
From yard sales:


Leah saw my new lamps and said, you aren't going to leave the cellophane  on them are you?  I laughed remembering how my mother kept it on for YEARS to save the shades.  But, then, that was a time when new furniture immediately got slip covers, too!

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.