Thursday, October 11, 2018

Mess and Moxie Tour

 I've loved Jen Hatmaker since my daughters sent me her reflection as a parent on the last weeks of school.  It was hilarious and so true.  So, when I found out she was coming to St. Louis, I leaped at the chance to go with a few church friends.
 We were very fortunate that it was at a nearby church, but when I walked in I noticed something---I appeared to be the oldest person in the room!!  I guess I expected more mother-daughter groups since my daughters were the ones who introduced me to her writing.
 She did not disappoint---came out with her phone to photograph us "live".  She was as funny as ever talking about how her house seems so empty with only 3 children at home (2 are in college).  She told her husband, "I can't cook---not just for 5 of us.  We are empty nesters!"
 There was a nice variety to the show---Jen with her "sermons", Jen and her friend Nichole just chatting like they were not on a stage, but at Starbucks.  The topic for the evening was "pain".  After a few humorous stories about child birth, she got to the pain she is still working through---click here.
 They had several opportunities for audience prizes.  One was for one person and 4 friends to visit with everyone after the show on the tour bus.  They announced the name of the winner, "Jaclyn" and the long pause and then they flashed this on the screen.  LOL!
 Nicole Nordemann was a wonderful addition to the tour although I'd never heard of her before.  She is from Tulsa and seems every bit as wise as Jen Hatmaker and pretty humorous in her own right. Plus, she writes music and sings!
The whole evening lasted about 3 hours including an intermission.  Sadly, I was in the middle of an allergy attack and could hardly breathe but still I wouldn't have missed it.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.