Sunday, April 7, 2024

My Friend Hilda

It was after Sunrise Service and we were all standing on the church parking lot/cemetary at Bellefontaine Methodist Church. We introduced ourselves and the older one Harry, smiled, made eye contact but the middle brother looked right through us. . . . That didn't stop Hilda from fluttering her eyelashes and swooning after the meeting. . . . I was not impressed, Dave was very handsome but I did not appreciate his attitude. That first meeting might have tainted my feelings about Dave Morgan when I met him the second, third, fourth and fifth times: very handsome but "stuck up". I'm sure Hilda never thought I'd actually marry Dave 11 years later.

We lost touch in college, but Hilda did know we married. I always felt a little guilty since she had "dibs" on him in 1960. On April 8, 2024, Hilda has been gone for 30 years. I still miss and remember her. RIP

 Have you ever had a friend who would talk you into doing things you would have never done on your own. On Easter Sunday, 64 years ago, my good friend Hilda dared me to go up to that Morgan family and introduce ourselves to those handsome older brothers of our friend Tom. We were 14-15 years old, not dating but still having "crushes" on guys. Those handsome older brothers were 18-21 definitely out of our "range". The middle one, Dave, was Senior class President at Hilda's school where she was in 9th grade which may be why she was so fascinated by him and I wasn't (I went to a different school).

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.