Thursday, March 17, 2011

Mardi Gras on The Voyager of the Seas

When I first heard that we had booked a Mardi Gras cruise I groaned. We are not big party animals and according to many on cruisecritic.com there are people who regularly book this cruise. First, there were to be parades and celebrations in Galveston. . . we chose to stay at the other end of the island since I don't really like drunken crowds.
But, when one woman suggest that we buy hair ornaments for Mardi Gras with much of the money going to her nephew's treatment of cancer, I couldn't resist. (Cruisecritic.com Mix and Mingle pictured above and below with individuals wearing the hair ornament from sassytoppers.com)
I did wear it in my hair but also on my hat and purse.

The interior promenade on The Voyager of the Seas, really does lend itself to parades of all kinds. The interior room and balconies overlooking the area, gives it a New Orleans feeling.

The parade was pretty subdued since it consisted mostly of people over the age of 40, but there were plenty of beads and coins thrown to spectators. The couple above were "dressed to the nines" every night with themed clothing and large hats, so Mardi Gras was really their night to shine.

I didn't realize, I snapped a photo of someone in our cruisecritic.com group above. Note the hair topper.It really was a little extra "fun" for the cruise and I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a taste of Mardi Gras on a cruise. It was just the right amount of Mardi Gras for me!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Thank you so much for posting about my Mardi Gras hair flowers!!

I really enjoyed reading your post and it sounds as if you had just as much fun as we did! What's funny...is my back is in one of your photos! But you can't see my hair flower in it!

What a small world!

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.