Monday, March 21, 2011

Art on The Voyager of the Seas

When we were on the Celebrity Constellation last summer, I realized what wonderful art that ship had. (Click here) I thought I'd document some of the art on the Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas. If you like classical Greek-style art click here.
Cleopatra's Needle reached 3-4 floors, but the entertainment venue was also very interesting.
The art ranged from the huge (above) to small pieces in hallway cases. . .
Which actually helped us know where to turn for our elevator.
Another piece that was several floors high reminded me of mountain climbers. This was called "Time" by Victor Lind, a Norwegian.
Many of the pieces were in the stair wells, so if you took the elevator, you might miss them (above and below)

The piece above really caught my eye "Angel in Flight II" by an American Helaine Blumenfeld. It inspired another piece of art:
A photograph by a British man David Buckland. If you look closely you'll see my portrait there, too!But, there were some beautiful pieces by the elevators, also.
Some you needed to see from an elevator. Notice the grid in both photos---one photo was in the elevator and one was outside the elevator looking up.
Some pieces were a twist on familiar subjects like the Statue of Liberty above.
This looked like a green glass figure draped in a gold vine, or maybe a mummy. . . .

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.