Monday, August 9, 2010

Constellation Celebrity



We started and ended our cruise at the terminal in Amsterdam.
The terminal was very convenient to Amsterdam's train station, canal boat rides and many tourist attractions. We had heard the ship would leave late due to the thorough cleaning to rid the ship of the Noro Virus.
Once we were on-board, there were several signs that they'd had two infected trips before ours.
And, the library remained close for the 12 days we were on board---hard to disinfect every page in a book, I guess.
We also could not touch anything in the buffet or dining room which meant that we would get our eggs, cereal but have to wait until someone came around to put salt or sugar on our food. We acquired packets with room service which I kept in my purse to use before our food got cold.
Everything was cleaned continuously with a bleach solution---unfortunately many, including my brother had ruined clothes when seating too quickly in the chairs in the buffet. Although we've cruised on Princess, Norwegian Cruise Lines and Royal Caribbean, Celebrity was a little better in several areas. Their buffet had excellent food---breakfasts were better than than the dining room.
The art was fabulous---Dale Chihuly and mosaic floors in the spa?
Each floor had ceramic pieces like this on the landings of each stairway.
Even the pool had several pieces of art.
This was a beautiful mosaic in one of the public areas.
The "grand stair case" was more subtle and elegant than on the other cruise ships---yes the steps are lit from beneath.

Our room was small be we had art in it also and the mirrors on the wall made it feel more spacious.
Of course, we loved our balcony and even had . . .
Wonderful neighbors who shared Girl Scout cookies (my brother Jim).
The food and dining companions were wonderful---Jackie and Bryan from California were like having having our kids with us.
And, of course my brother and his wife Debbie!
Eddie, our waiter is showing off the baked Alaska.
Our last evening, we ate at the Tuscan Grill, one of the specialty restaurants.

All in all, it was a great cruise, but next time I think I'll ask someone to take OUR photos on our camera so I don't have to resort to so many mirror shots!

1 comment:

hear.t. and hue said...

that's crazy about the noro virus! sounds like they were pretty thorough - thank goodness! your ship looked sooo nice!

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.