Monday, July 19, 2010

Celebrity Constellation Sail Away

My brother and sister-in-law had found out the night before that we would be embarking later than we'd planned in order for the staff to thoroughly clean the ship which had had an outbreak of norovirus. For those who didn't know about the late departure, the ship had food and drink brought in to the Movenpick Hotel and adjoining terminal.
We went to partake of some of the freebies, and we had an opportunity to meet several of our fellow passengers.
At 8:00 PM, we departed Amsterdam at Piet Heinkade Terminal (Googlemap shows it where s100 meets s116 at the water--if you zoom in you'll see a section that says "Passenger Terminal Amsterdam") which wasn't more than a mile from our hotel.
While wending our way to the North Sea, we passed residential areas . . .
A Greenpeace ship. . .

And quite a bit of industry. My brother was particularly interested in the power stations . . .
And the wind turbines.
If you follow the "Kanal" heading in a NW direction on this map, you'll see where we were while sailing away from Amsterdam. I do recall the signs for "Afrikahaven" and "Amerikahaven". You will also see the mounds of coal on that map.

We thought this was interesting since the trees appear to be planted in rows---future wood "crops" mixed in with the turbines.
Our three hour trip down the canal also took us by villages.
If you looked at the map, you'll see an area in which we had to go through locks (see above).
The photo above was taken just before we headed out to the North Sea around 11:00 PM.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.