Sunday, July 18, 2010

Amsterdam July 3

We had learned that our cruise ship had post-poned our departure, so we decided to take a bus/canal boat tour with our extra time.
We noticed many buildings that seemed to be losing a battle with settling soil. They were deliberately built leaning forward a bit so they could haul furniture up through the cranes in the eaves, but that doesn't account for the leaning left and right. I liked how the building on the left spelled "MoM", the little building next to it was a "coffee shop" (AKA marijuana house) and the little blue "house boat" had flower boxes.
We visited a diamond factory where we got a tour.
We saw them polishing diamonds---looks very tedious.
And we got information on color, points, facets of diamonds.
As well as an opportunity for my sister-in-law to try some diamond rings on.
Of course the Dutch cycle everywhere---I liked the pink bike, crate on the front, the flowers and the black dress and boots on an 80 degree day.
We rarely saw helmets, but this was a scene I never thought I'd see.
The Dutch are so relaxed and funny----I think I could live there.
On the canal boat ride, we saw many "house boats"---there are several thousands---I loved the gardens some had. Although there is a moratorium on house boats, now, they do help the housing shortage. The Dutch can't really build higher buildings because the soil structure can't really tolerate the weight of higher buildings.
This is the canal side of a farmer's market.
Everyone asks us if we went to the "red light district." First, WHY? Second, it's against the law to photograph---but I did promise a few people a photo of a "cat house". (Double click to enlarge---I think you can read it---"Boot" in German and Dutch (?) means "boat".
This was built in 1620----one of my ancestors or Dave's might have seen this, too, since we both had ancestors in Amsterdam in the mid 1600's. Mine were French Huguenots looking for religious freedom and Dave's were Dutch who came to the New World and settled around Staten Island and New Amsterdam.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.