Thursday, July 22, 2010

Stockholm July 7

After we arrived in Stockholm, we'd arranged for a tour "Waterways of Stockholm"---here's Dave getting on the tour boat and that's our Celebrity Constellation in the background---we just walked to the edge of the pier and got on our tourboat!
We could actually see this from our balcony---an amusement park. One of the common factors we noticed in most of these Baltic cities (and Amsterdam) was they are all on islands! Stockholm is on 14 islands. This island was known as Kastellholmen .
The Vasa Museum was also on an island (Djurgarden)---it houses the 17th century ship Wasa---it sank on its maiden voyage on Aug. 10, 1628. Some bright bureaucrat decided it needed more cannons, but forgot to bolt them down. So as they pulled away from the dock, they all rolled to one side capsizing the ship. Since the water of the Baltic is actually brackish (combination of fresh and salt), it remained under the surface well-preserved until it was brought up in the 1960's.
With so many islands, ferry boats were a constant in the harbor.
This is the Royal Palace---seeing all of the tour buses makes me glad we opted for a water tour. Deb and Jim took a bus tour and got a little irritated with their tour guide who mentioned the wedding of the princess dozens of times. Our bus guide only mentioned it once saying, "She married an ordinary man." I think she meant a "commoner" but I think more royal houses would have benefited by marriage to "ordinary men". Click here for more information about "Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden".
We went through a lock which took us up to one of Europe's largest fresh water lakes Maelaren.
On the lake is the City Hall "Stadshuset" which is where the Nobel Prize Banquet is held. My sister-in-law Debbie said, "Seven cruise ships dumped 22 buses at the City Hall." Again, so glad we were on a boat.
We saw "old town". . .
a beach. . .
And, then, we returned to our dock and did a little shopping. But, back on the ship, we still had a three hour cruise through the archipelago again---fresh views since the ship was heading out. Click here to see a map of the area---the dotted blue lines are the shipping channels.

Hejda Stockholm!
We passed beautiful estates. . .
a wind mill missing it's "wings". . .
Seeing other ship pass us between islands, reminded us of shark fins.
Stockholm was a beautiful city---Sweden a beautiful country. I'd love to see it again someday, but our next stop was Helsinki, Finland.

No comments:

Between Two Worlds

Most of my life, I've considered it fortunate that I was just ahead of the Baby-boom. Generally, the Baby-boomers were born between 1946 and 1964 after the fathers returned from World War II. It was a huge population explosion that has reverberated through American society.

This blog will be part history, part memories, part reflections of a retired teacher, but active "Senior". I have always felt like I straddled two generations forming a bridge. Sometimes I think like a baby-boomer, but sometimes I'm locked into my parents' Depression era thinking. I'm a dichotomy of two eras. But, I'm always ready to try something new---so here I am dipping my toes in the water of Blogworld.